Sunday, November 4, 2012

What comes first? Farting or Sex

This morning I woke up early. I looked at my phone and it said it was only 7:30 a.m. I didn't remember that it was daylight savings and the clocks fell back an hour. (Thankfully my phone does it on its own!) So I had no intention of getting out of bed. So I just laid there and thought.

I am now going into Day 4 of NaNoWriMo. So naturally, as I lay there thinking, I am thinking about my book. I am trying to grab the essence of my thoughts, truly understand and feel what it is like to just lay in bed and stare at the ceiling. I feel like for me to describe something like this, I need to feel it. I need to feel like my main character so I knew exactly what she was thinking. I needed to get into her head.

I laid in bed for a bit before my husband woke up. And naturally, he woke up and was ready to start the day. How dare he think like that? How dare he disturb my ability to lay in bed without being bothered by kids or by life on the outside world. I was comfortable and warm.

My husband got up and did his morning business while I continued to lay in bed. Naturally, since I refused to get out of bed, he decided to lay back down and snuggle. (Yes - my husband is a snuggler! Not me - I have my own personal bubble!)

Well, we all know what happens when you have two people laying in bed...

No - I wasn't talking sex. Geesh.... we are married... we don't do that kind of thing! (blush, blush)

No - we got into one of our weird conversations or what is better known as our kind of pillow talk.


"What do you think came first... The fart or the sex?"

"I think the fart," he said, without hesitating.

"Really?" I questioned him.

"Well I thought you were referring to that question who came first - the chicken or the egg. You shouldn't have worded it that way!"

"So answer the question then!"

"It's the sex."

"I don't think so, you farted in front of me before we ever had sex!" I called him out.

"No I didn't!" he denied.

"Yeah you did. I remember it perfectly," I announced. "We were heading out of the barracks and you were walking in front of me. Then you let it rip." I have a photographic memory for the oddest things. "I shouldn't have married you!"

"Well, you know you aren't supposed to hold it in," he said.

"I didn't fart in front of you," I said, declaring that I couldn't fart in front of someone until I was really comfortable with them. "But what I was thinking is, how do you sleep with someone without the fear of them hearing you fart if you have never farted in front of them before. Don't you worry about that stuff?"

"Nope, I figure if I am sleeping then they are sleeping."

"Yeah, but what if they are that creepy guy that wakes up and stares at you while you sleep?"

"I'm not creepy." Naturally, then he gives me that creepy joker like smile as he gets really close and smiles at me.

"You know what I mean... when they watch you sleep and they are all like wow isn't she so beautiful and peaceful when she sleeps and suddenly you hear...... thbrrrttttt... and a big fart rips out."

"Then I think she is even more beautiful because of the smile that happens because of the fart."

Well, I guess with a comment like that, he definitely is a keeper. Good thing I married him after all. But now it got me thinking...

Which comes first... farting or the sex? Both are intimate acts in completely different ways. And yes, I know it is hard to think of farting as intimate. But for some, it means you are completely comfortable with that person. Yet, when you look at relationships, how many will jump into bed and have sex with a person before they will even fart in front of them?

So, which comes first... farting or sex?

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, I think this question has two different answers, because men genrally are proud of their bodily functions, like farting and will do it whenever and wherever. Women on the other hand have been taught most likely by society that farting isn't ladylike and will hold it in and not do that when they are first dating someone. So I think for men the fart comes first and for women sex!! Sorry, but this had me cracking about reading and even as I was commenting!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with Janine here. I think men and women (or at least this woman) are different on that subject. I probably did fart first in reality (at least I would have if I farted; naturally, like any good Southern girl, I don't. :)). Great post, Stacy!

      Delete
    2. I just thought it was such a funny thought... especially since I think there has been times when I would not fart in front of someone... but sex didn't seem like that big of a deal. Then again - now a days sex isn't that intimate... it is the actual act of sleeping next to someone that is! :)

      Delete
  3. Stacy, you have the incredible gift to ask those questions that the rest of us are afraid to explore. Keep up the awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the incredibly knack of coming up with the most absurd questions nobody really would think twice about! But seriously - this is important stuff. Ha ha!

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic question!!! Definitely farting first!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I haven't farted in front of my husband ever... I am a lady - I toot! ;)

      Delete
  5. Well, I still try to avoid farting around my boyfriend. I mean, we've all had the occasional slip up here and there, but it's definitely not something I would do willingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how as woman we try to keep our farts personal? And if we slip up we are often embarrassed.

      Delete
  6. Being of the male gender (last time I looked) I would have to say the sex. My wife and I were of the "Peace, Love, Dove" generation and sex came fairly quickly in the relationship (although she'd rather not admit it). She used to think she was fooling me with her silent attacks in the car by stating, "Boy, it's hot in here" as we'd drive and she'd roll down the window, but that ended quickly as Summer arrived and her excuses went the way of air conditioning. As far as I go, I honestly can't remember. I used to always attempt to act different than most guys and act like I had some class. No idea, but, that's probably a good thing. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich you got class! And I love how you always have a story to tell! It is amazing how different yet how similiar our generations really are. I think they just didn't call it the Peace Love Dove philosophy!

      Delete
  7. I'm probably completely abnormal, but I wasn't comfortable farting until like a year after we were married. HAHAHA. I don't know. I'm with Janine up there - I mean...we ladies are taught that it's not "proper." so I don't know. Funny post, though. You had me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly... we ladies aren't taught that farting is polite and because of that we hold it in. My husband always says you should let it out or you will explode. Boy - I bet he is regretting saying that now - especially since we have been married for 12 years now. Now it's war!

      Delete
  8. I can't really remember when we both started feeling comfortable enough to fart around each other, but I know it was probably about a year or two after we started dating - maybe more. I know it's natural and all that, but I still wish we didn't have to do it. At least we say "sorry" or "excuse me" - LOL!! Oh my word, it's weird to be talking about farting. Interesting post hehee!

    ReplyDelete

Virtual Mirror