Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Great Chicken Nugget Debate

Last night we went to McDonald's for dinner.

I don't know why we went to McDonald's for dinner. I already had plans as to what we were going to eat. And honestly, it wasn't like I wasn't capable of making it. And frankly, every time I get McD's I feel a little sick. I am not sure if it is from the food or because to feed the entire family, McDonald's has become a luxury.

Well last night when my husband got home we started talking about Christmas shopping. That time of year is right around the corner. This means I needed to go out and start looking around. I need ideas and I don't have much time. To top it off, I also wanted to head to Payless because they were having a Buy One Get One (BOGO) half off sale and I really wanted a pair of black boots. I was hoping that I would be able to find a pair I liked since I have been searching for them for years!! Either I haven't approved of the style or they just weren't comfortable.

That didn't happen - I did not find my awesome new black boots at payless - and this story isn't about my awesome new black boots that I eventually did find. This is a story about chicken nuggets!

So you are probably wondering how black boots will magically transform into chicken nuggets. Well they won't!

Part of the reason we went out for dinner was because we both had a craving for Chinese Food. Well, there is a Panda Express by the tiny little shopping center some people call a mall in this town. Since they are all over the U.S. I figured they might actually have decent Chinese Food, which since we have moved to California, has been nearly impossible to find. Well, we went in and the selection seemed.... well... not appetizing. I have just come to accept that California does not have good Chinese Food. It will be one of the first things we eat when we go home to Wisconsin for Christmas.

Needless to say, I didn't order Chinese last night. Since the kids wouldn't eat it anyway, we were going to get Chinese Food for us and McDonald's for the kids. Even though I really didn't want it, we all ended up eating fast food burgers at McD's anyway.

How do you count your chicken nuggets?
If you get an odd shaped one that looks
like two - is it counted as two or is it
really only one.
My kids went for their normal - chicken nuggets. And this is were the story truly starts. My oldest daughter has grown out of Happy Meals. They just don't fill her up anymore. So she usually gets a 10 piece chicken nugget. As she was eating them, she pulled out one that was larger than normal. In fact, it was obviously two chicken nuggets that were attached together.

So I wonder... if you have a chicken nugget, that should be two but attached and look like it is only one, how do you really count it? I mean, this is important when you are ordering a specific number of chicken nuggets. For instance, if you have one of these malformed nuggets in your 10 piece and they count it as two, you truly only got nine, if you are physically counting. But, if they throw in an extra for good measure because it truly is two conjoined nuggets but it only looks like one, then technically you get 11.

Either way - it looks like your 10 piece isn't really a 10 piece at all! Or maybe it is just a matter of perspective. How would you count your conjoined chicken nugget. Inquiring minds want to know!

NOTE: By the way, in the case of last night, they counted the deformed and conjoined chicken nugget as two chicken nuggets. And since it truly was only one chicken nugget (they were conjoined, not just frozen together) technically my daughter got shortened for her 10 piece chicken nugget meal. If it was me, I probably would have added an extra nugget because I believe it is better to give more than to have someone complain they were ripped off. But I guess it depends on who is counting!

13 comments:

  1. Stacy, I love how you got chicken nuggets out of this whole tale and this is why I love reading you, because you write the way I think, lol :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I love that. Glad others can relate. For awhile, I thought I was the only one that thought this way! LOL

      Delete
  2. You crack me up. I do the same thing with McD's. We try not to go there but sometimes, my body just wants a chicken nugget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get the Big Mac or Quarter Pounder. I know it sounds weird but I just have this thought that chicken nuggets just won't fully satisfy me. But they are kind of good. Ha ha

      Delete
  3. I think I've developed an allergy to McD's. For the last year, whenever we make the long ass trip to Billings for a weekend filled with exciting shopping, we end up stopping for chicken nuggets at least once.

    And then it happens...the next day, little man develops a horrendous case of trumpet butt followed several hours later by tidal poops. And he isn't the only one. We play "pick a number" for the toilet. Not so much fun when it strikes during the 300 mile drive back to hellsville, Montana. :)

    Great post...you just keep getting better and madder (than a hatter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed so hard when I read trumpet butt and tidal poops... I actually had to read it outloud to my husband. Sadly though, I am not laughing at your pain and anguish, but II guess it makes for a good story. Maybe once you get to some place not in the middle of nowhere your body will get used to the junk we can feed it when it becomes convenient! :)

      Delete
  4. "...they counted the deformed and conjoined chicken nugget as two chicken nuggets."
    I started writing the Doctrine blog only about 3 years ago and lately have been feeling a little confident. And then I come here and read this Post... ayyiiee!
    How on earth am I expected to maintain a self-assured air when in the company of writers who can write a Post with the above phrase in it and have it all make sense!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in Bangkok there are very few places where you can get a burger that tastes even remotely similar to burgers in the U.S. McD's is one of them and yet we almost never eat there. But this isn't a comment about my eating habits, this is a comment about the proper method for counting deformed and conjoined chicken nuggets. I can't say that I am an expert in this realm, but having worked for one of the big 3 burger places for five years I do feel qualified to comment on the counting of a chicken nugget. On the one hand I would have wanted to count the nugget as two nuggets (food cost and all that), and on the other I would have wanted to please the customer by counting it as just one nugget. So, what would I have done? Please the customer of course. Even though that is physically just one nugget they are gonna feel like they got a bonus nugget and be just a smidge more likely to come back in the future. Anyway, chicken nuggets really aren't that expensive when you're buying them wholesale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicken Nuggets, by their very nature, are deformed. So, I guess, I am more than willing to deform them further to count them as several laaaarger ones--

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I'd probably count them as 9...definently not 11. It's not your fault they stuck together like that :P I haven't been to McD's in years for a full meal. Geoff and I used to be able to get a full meal each (burger, chips and coke/fanta) for R40 altogether. What a bargain! Craving junk food now all of a sudden. I think it's the wine... Great post! Droool....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain on the Chinese food, Stacy. Apparently the western side of the country just doesn't do Chinese well, because we can't find anything edible in Oregon either. I'm with you; I would have thrown in an extra nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last weekend, we went to McD's before our mountain bike ride. I felt abnormal afterwards. In fact, I would postulate that the rocky blob of food that formed in my tummy after said meal is what weighed me down and caused me to flip backwards down that mountain and finally land in a tree hole where I rested for a few minutes looking at the lake. Stupid McD's. LOL. Sorry you don't have good Chinese food out there. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Virtual Mirror