Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Dr. Drew, Thank You For Taking My Call...

One of the coolest things about being a writer is all these people that I have met, but not actually met. So last night, when a fellow blogger was going to be interviewed on Dr. Drew, I was pretty excited. I would love to say that I was watching just to support her, but it was an excitement part as well. I kept telling my husband - I know her, I know her!

As I was watching CNN beforehand, I got to
see their promotions for Julie's segment. I
am just happy I got a chance to watch
a fellow writer in action.
Now this fellow blogger, Julie DeNeen from Life According to Julie, was doing a follow up interview on GSA, genetic sexual attraction. After looking at the link talking about her appearance on the show, and seeing all the negative feedback, I was just dumbfounded. How many people out there are willing to spout off their opinions without actually educating themselves on what is going on. It wasn't that they were ignorant, it was just that they were ignorant on Julie's story. They didn't know her story from anything else, but they were quick to pass judgement.

Naturally, she was freaking out. I know I would have been too. It is a bit of a taboo subject and I commend her for stepping forward and talking about it. She asked if anybody would be willing to call in and give some positive comments. At first, even though I would do anything for another fellow writer, I thought there is no way I can call. It had nothing to do with the subject. But I was incoherent. I had a killer headache from cracking my head open the night before. My thoughts would be a train wreck and I would end up sounding like an idiot. Who cared that you couldn't actually see me on TV, you would be able to hear me!

So what did I do? I waited until about 5 p.m., an hour before the show was to take place live. I thought, I could go to the link and I could go ahead and add my input. Maybe they could scroll what I said on the bottom of the screen. That way I could show my support but not necessarily by talking on the other line. Besides, I already knew a few people had already gotten the call back from Dr. Drew. They would be on well before me.

So I hit send and I was pretty happy I could show my support but I didn't have to talk in front of people. I am not quick on my feet anyway. With my head cracked in half, I would be even slower.

So, like usual, my husband called me on my way home. That is when I heard the phone ring on the other end. It wasn't a number I recognized, so I told my husband that Dr. Drew was most likely calling me... and he was! (Well, one of the producers anyway!) So they asked if it would be ok if they called me back so I could talk on the show.

Ok - no problem! My plan failed. Opps! Now I needed a plan. I couldn't go into this empty minded. So I typed out a script. This is what I would say. I wanted to sound supportive. I didn't want to sound idiotic. Now I was nervous, but they also said it was a good possibility they might not get to me. Ok - I can relax a little.

Not even 5 minutes later, they called me again. It was 5:53 p.m. She asked me if I would mind staying on hold for a bit. That they wanted me to talk on the show. Ok - so I guess I was really going on. And there I sat, on hold.

I sat on hold for awhile. I started worrying that if they didn't get to my call soon, it would be dropped as my battery was running on it's last leg. But let me tell you, it was the weirdest feeling ever. It was like deja vu. I could hear everything before it even happened. I couldn't concentrate on the show. I was waiting for Dr. Drew to say my name. But they took caller after caller. Darn, I wasn't going to be on after all. They would never get me. Yet none of these callers were offering any type of support whatsoever. I was getting angry. So much for throwing in some positive spins and some support.

And that is when it happened. Dr. Drew asked for the next name. It was mine. I was sweating buckets. I wiped the perspiration from my forehead. Thank goodness I had a script sitting in front of me. I was nervous. So I started reading in what I hoped was a voice that didn't sound like I was reading. I even started it off saying, "Dr. Drew, thank you for taking my call..." The girl before me did it. It sounded professional.

That is me, on the phone with Dr. Drew. Ok -
so it is before I started talking. Right after this
you saw Julie smile.
But then, I got sidetracked. Dr. Drew cut me off. Oh no... I was losing my mojo. I didn't say everything I wanted to say....

Regardless, I did think it went well. And I am glad that I was able to get through. As my voice came across on the TV, you could instantly see the tension removed from Julie. It was worth the smile on their faces, even if it was a good possibility that I sounded like an idiot. And nasally - I hate what my voice sounds like when it isn't in my head!

However, this is what I really wanted to say, because I got cut off. The last thing I got to say to them was something about how not many marriages would survive this type of ordeal. That didn't come across how I intended it. So here is what I intended to say... mind you... I have a tendency to blarf in words a lot. This was my attempt at keeping it short.


"I read the book Wanted and I truly can’t find any way to judge her, especially after reading all the comments I saw on Facebook. If anything I have more compassion. I never heard of GSA before and Wanted was a book that I just could not put down until I finished. And then all I wanted to do was go out and give her a hug and shake her husband's hand. There isn’t too many people that can survive this with their marriage in tact. I give her and her husband both props. They are strong together and it really does show. She truly was the victim in this situation and her bravado lets others know that it is ok to come forward and get help if they need it." 
Overall, I may have been nervous, but I am glad I got the opportunity to be on the show. I don't know how they choose who is going to go on, but I am glad that they choose me to talk. I am glad that I was able to offer my support, even if it was in a small way as just a phone call. 

I also wanted to point out that Julie's memoir, Wanted, is a great read. It doesn't matter if you are looking for information on GSA, or just a well-written story. I couldn't put the book down until I finished with it. She has a way with words that drew me into the story. I laughed - I cried -- I felt like I was inside the story. So check it out and support a fellow writer. I am sure you won't be disappointed. You can get the book by clicking here.

Now, I just hope this wasn't her 15 minutes of fame or mine. Oh what am I talking about - with a support group like Bloppy Bloggers - the push to take yourself beyond your expectations is there. Personally, I think this is just the beginning.

25 comments:

  1. Yes, it is the beginning, my friend.

    You were there to support Julie and that's what matters. I am glad you could say it out loud :)

    I just managed to catch a few glimpses on the internet cause my kid had swimming at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't pay attention to it while I was on hold... so luckily I had the ability to DVR the entire thing so I could rewatch it. I was having problems focusing! :)

      Delete
  2. Stacy, hearing your voice...I can't explain it. I was so incredibly stressed out. I had totally forgotten that people like you or Amy or Melissa might call in. Even when he said your name, it didn't register....

    But then, your voice! The voice you say you hate...well girl, it was completely obvious to me who it was. In my mind I kept flashing back to your boob vlog and that's why I smiled.

    A friend! Coming to my rescue!! Stacy the Mad Woman helping me out...

    So...number one, the vlogging thing is what helped me recognize your voice.
    The smile was out of pure relief...when you said "I give her and her husband props" I squeezed his hand as if to say, "See how FREAKIN' awesome these bloggers are!!!" and I felt like I was just on the phone with you, hanging out.

    Thank you so much Stacy...and after all you'd been through with your head....
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cried reading your comment. Beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Love that you heard my voice and thought of boobs! That is the reaction that I was hoping for. But no - really - I know I was nervous at first to actually be on the air, but I am so glad I did. Because I got to say my little bit and support you guys. It just angered me so much that there was so much negative feedback. And they don't even know your side of the story. To many people judge. It saddens me! And I still think it is awesome that you guys were on TV! :)

      Delete
  3. Stacy, I heard you "live" last night when you called in and I thought you sounded eloquent and fantastic! You'd never know you had been nursing a bad headache.:) You were wonderfully supportive and I agree with you that Julie and Andrew are a strong and resilient couple to survive such a traumatic episode together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gonna have to start calling them the super couple of blogging! They are models to take after. Sure - life isn't perfect, but they are example that makes others realize that you work with what you got. And guess what - love is stronger than anything else! :) Glad you heard it live and glad I didn't blow it! :)

      Delete
  4. Stacy you did great and my hat is off to you. Seriously, I just couldn't get my stuff together yesterday having been out all day and having my own husband complaining about how much time I spend on here, but I did at least watch and was amazed by Julie and her husband as always. So happy though that someone got through from our group to say it like it is. If I were in your shoes, I would have felt the same way and nervous as hell. But you know you did a fine job and seriously just awesome :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I was super nervous. I was afraid my voice was going to be shaking. Add on to that that my phone could die because I wasn't expecting to sit on hold... but you know what. I really did have it easy. Julie had the hard part. I commend her and her husband for being so brave and letting others know it is ok to come foreward and get help! It is probably more common than others realize.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Awe thank you... and I am glad to call you friend as well! :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful Stacy! So glad you were able to get on. I would have been a freaking nervous wreck. I can't even imagine how Julie was doing. Julie is definitely taking a hit for this cause. It's so courageous. So, so courageous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say it enough... she is a superstar. I don't know if I would have been able to go on TV and talk with as much composure as she has. I probably would have puked. But she does awesome. She is a true leader and so brave! Love her to pieces!

      Delete
  7. Stacy, you were awesome! I was waiting on the line too, nervous over what I would say if Dr.Drew said my name. And then I heard you and was like YEAH! Go Stacy!!!! You were terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - thankfully somebody knew how I was feeling. It was so nerve wracking being on hold. It was like... well do you want me to talk... do you not want me to talk. Yikes. I think I have been less nervous getting shots!

      Delete
  8. I wondered if that was you! I thought you were perfect! So well-spoken, supportive, and educated. Way to make your voice heard above all the ignorant, hateful chatter of that ridiculous FB page garbage. You rocked! So did Julie, of course! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - that was me... and thank you for letting me know that I said the right things. They told us to limit it to a couple of sentences and I wanted to jam everything in that I could! I really wanted to be the light at the end of the tunnel, especially with so many people saying hateful things!

      Delete
  9. I watched live too, and I was glad you got to call in. While she definitely didn't get attacked, as I thought she may, I'm sure it was still great hearing a familiar voice in that stressful situation. I didn't think you sounded flustered at all! You sounded very eloquent and composed. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I was glad I was able to get through. And it was worth it when I finally saw her relax. I was a little surprised that the callers seemed to be way off topic too. It was like they weren't talking about the same subject.

      Delete
  10. Good for you! What she did took so much courage and heart, to do it alone would have been heartbreaking. We all need each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said... it is amazing to have a support group like the ones we have formed. We all need each other!

      Delete
  11. You're incredible, Stacy. I loved how you sounded - you were poised and professional. I loved seeing Julie smile when she heard your voice. It was surreal. You're so awesome to call! Kudos to you. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This truly was a great experience. I was so nervous to start off, but like I said, I would do anything for a friend. Made my day to take the edge off!

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad you had a chance to get on air and show Julie your support. The fact that you did it among your nerves and cracked open head shows what kind of person and friend you are. So incredible!! I only wish I could have seen the whole show.

    Btw - I know exactly what you mean when you saw you were sweating and hearing things while holding. A few years ago I texted a radio station something that happened at my first job (I killed a 10 year old plant). I never dreamed I'd be on air. Well, they thought it was a good story and called me back. I think I sounded like a complete dork and was trying so hard not to choke on my words! But, it was an experience all right.

    Great post...really enjoyed reading it and Julie's comment. Melted my heart...you guys are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was only one other time that I was on the radio. That was at my last job where they were doing a promotion and they asked me to say something on the air. I don't know what I sounded like, but I do know I am much stronger behind the written word. :)

      Then again - I would do anything for a friend. The support that these writers offer. I have never met a better group of people! :)

      Delete

Virtual Mirror