Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election is over - Country Still Divided

Yesterday was election day...


I did my part. I got out and voted.
Did you?
I am saddened by this. Not because of who won or who lost, but because of how truly divided the entire country is over it.

Even today, as I started looking through the Facebook feed, I see people bickering back and forth over who should have won. We all knew what was going to happen. I predicted it long before someone won. After all, it has been a long time since we have had a president that hasn't served for 2 terms.

The banter back and forth for the entire political race was downright disturbing. People slashing their opinions around like they were facts. But the reality is, when a person goes for political office, they will promise you the world. Whether or not they can give it to you, only time will tell.

Even though I am not big on politics, I heard stuff. For instance, Obama had the African American vote because of his race. Those that were voting for Romney were stupid... or my personal favorite... if you are voting for Romney and you are white, you are a racist. Are these opinions or are these facts. At this point in time, it doesn't matter.

I have my views and my personal opinions about both presidential candidates. I usually choose to leave those opinions to myself because I know it won't sway anybody in any different direction. However, it is our rights as Americans to have this opinion. It is the right that so many others before us have died for. So as we move forward today, we still have a right to our opinions. But flaunting them really won't matter.

If you wanted Obama to win - Good for you. Congratulations. But being a sore winner is just as bad as being a sore loser.

If you wanted Romney to win - Sorry, but complaining will not change the outcome.

Yesterday, midway through elections, I had to get my daughters from school. My oldest, Abby, who is 10, is old enough to understand a little bit about our government. In their class they did a mock election and voted for president.

According to her 5th grade class Obama won 50-48. It was a close election.

Naturally, I asked her who she voted for. I really wanted to hear her opinion because we want our kids to grow up being able to make their own decisions. She said she voted for Romney. So I asked her why.

Her response, "Because life has become unaffordable. Gas prices have continued to raise as well as the price of food. I voted for Romney because I was hoping for a change!"

My son came with me to vote. It was such
a hard decision, it wiped him out!
This is a perspective of a 5th grader. She doesn't know much about the issues. She doesn't care about whether or not we drill for oil in the states, or about bailouts, or about Obamacare. She just based her opinion off what she has seen. I thought it was amazing that she would change her vote from the previous election in 2008, where she voted for Obama.

When I asked her why she previously voted for Obama in 2008 she told me it was because she was much younger and she only based her vote on the fact that Obama was smiling in his picture but McCain looked grumpy.

Overall, I think my daughter said it best. America needs a change. I don't really care who is in Office. I respect the office. However, this change will not happen if we, the people, can't unite together.

We need to fight for what we want and make the president work for us. We can't do that if we are divided.

So it is the day after elections. If the man you voted for won, congratulations. If not, it is time to move on. Now hopefully we see some positive changes in the future and it isn't in the gas prices... because I need to fill up!

Note: This is not a place to spout of your election wins or loses. If you can't say anything nice, I would prefer if you didn't say anything at all. The race is over. Let's all be adults about this!

21 comments:

  1. I just finished watching Mitt Romney's concession speech, and I was impressed at how gracious and kind he was in it. His call for bipartisanship and cooperation was probably the best thing I have seen out of the campaign season on either side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bad american... I haven't watched either speech... probably won't either. It must be my love for politics! LOL

      Delete
    2. Watching or not watching doesn't make you a good or bad American. Participating in a thoughtful and respectful manner does. You're a good American. Now let's find another subject for the next three years until they start campaigning again.

      Delete
  2. Your daughter is so wise beyond her years. Seriously, I totally agreed with your post and you are so right that we need to come together and unite for a chance for change to happen. Great post Stacy and truly enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is too mature for her age. She thinks deeply and hard about just about everything. Glad people out there can agree. We only need to unite. It doesn't matter if the person we voted for won or not! :)

      Delete
  3. Your sweet daughter. Aww. Like you, I respect the Office. No matter who's in it. I just wish more hands would shake across the aisle so we can get things back on track. I really want climate change to be on the table, too. Ah well, I could NEVER be a politician. I hate arguing. Awesome post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too... I think there are too many things out there that is counted as fact, so we just have to go based off of our gut. And frankly, the person we choose has more to do with the values that we hold higher. If we are about finances... we will go with the guy that thinks the way we do. If we are about woman's rights - we will vote the one in that tells us what we want. I wouldn't be a good politician either. I can fight with the rest of them but I rather not! :)

      Delete
  4. Stacy, I agree that people should vote on who can do the best job of running the country and not be divided over it. Am from Singapore, but certainly found this race a little dramatic! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - not even in the area and you found the race a bit dramatic. I blame it on the media. They swelled the opinions that were going around and made it hard to find out what the truth was in each of the issues. It realy was a nasty race!

      Delete
  5. You said this brilliantly! I think elections - no matter what country, seem to bring out the worst in people. Especially the race card. It's never going to die it seems - and I honestly thought it was the worst here in SA. Your daughter is so insightful! WOW! I can imagine great things in her future...very wise words from someone so young. I hope there are major changes made, because what happens in America really does affect the rest of the world. No pressure there Obama! Great post, and love the picture of you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - no pressure... Obama.. but America needs change. And we show are presence all over the place and with a country being this divided, it will only be so long before we are being joked about. Something needs to happen.
      And I agree, my daughter is wise beyond her years! :)

      Delete
  6. ...having managed to opt-out of the popular culture sufficiently to have to be reminded that the election was over, I must go back to my childhood for a basis for commendation.
    I distinctly remember my parent talking about the presidential race (I was a bout 5 years old) and the visual that cam to mind was, of course, a foot race, complete with starter gun and an oval track. My 5 yo mind said, 'that can't be fair. one of those guys is so old!')

    It is good to have closure on this most focused of cultural/political of processes! Now I can go back to opting out of the other stuff! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just glad it is over... but now I do wonder... if it was a foot race I wonder who would have won. I didn't really check out there physical conditions! LOL

      Delete
  7. Your daughter is wise beyond her years. It would be worthy of most adults to take a look around and see what is transpiring in our country. Yet, I don't know if either of the two that were running were worth voting for. In fact, my vote went elsewhere. I knew it was fruitless, but at least I was believing for a group that wanted to better the world in which we live, instead of simply into the pocket of another liar. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the reasons I didn't place my vote elsewhere was because I knew nothing would come of it. And now that the election is over, I look at the electoral college and realize how completely outdated it is. I believe it should be a one for one vote. The election was over before the voting polls in my state even had the chance to be completely counted. Makes me feel like mine was a wasted vote as well.

      Delete
  8. I love what your daughter said. I agree with her completely that we need a change. And like you said, that change needs to happen no matter who is in office. I typically keep my opinions to myself as well, as I don't like to get drawn in to an argument. It just divides people. Hoping we can come together as a country and move forward from this election that has made us all a little cranky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, throwing out our opinions if we can't do it civily only divides us. We need to come together as a country and fight for what we want. But the funny thing is, when you truly just sit back and watch what is happening all over, you have to ask if we are better off now. Life is becoming unaffordable and the politicians are breaking each others backs fighting back and forth. What about the people who need them to do something.

      Delete
  9. I love listening to kids about politics. They have such an innocence that proves to be profound. I too hope that we can compromise. This partisan shit is terrible for the country and gets us nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. What I found disturbing is that these kids don't understand the politics. When they did a mock vote, I asked my daughter if she understood or even talked about any of the issues that these political candidates stood for. She said no. So they do a mock vote and hope the parents have taught them about goverment. So naturally - the president would be the one to win. They are familiar with his name. But those kids who are looking around and seeing what is happening, that is what is truly amazing.

      Delete
  10. It really is sad how divisive the election is. It boggles the mind to think about literally half the country not supporting the winner of the election. I wish the next set of candidates could have some more common ground, particularly on social issues. I would say more, but I fear I will risk contributing to the already divided opinions! Thanks for a thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete

Virtual Mirror