Wednesday, November 14, 2012

'F' The Pennies...

Pennies are something most writers can relate to. It is a sad but true reality. Most of us know far more what it is like to be the penniless writer than a best selling author. Tis the life I guess.

That being said, it isn't like that will be the case forever. I remember when I first started writing online, I would be excited if I made a penny - in like a month. Then I got spoiled by the nickels and dimes.

However, at the beginning of November I decided to try something new. I was going to sign up for NaNoWriMo and I was going to beat it. I take challenges very seriously and I am way too hard on myself to fail. However, I knew I wasn't going to fail because I have an amazing support system of writers.

Well, among the writers is one of my good friend's Kelly. She is The RealHousewife! And since I have met her in person, I can truly believe that when she says she is going to do something, it is going to get done. I have never met someone so strong willed and determined before. I was happy to have her on my side.

Well immediately after signing up for the madness, she called me up. I remember the conversation so clearly. She stated that out of all the people that sign up for NaNoWriMo, only about 10 percent of them actually finish. Then, with as much gusto as she could push through the phone, she told me that we - the both of us - would be a part of that 10 percent. While I was a little sketchy about this whole thing, I knew that together we would both succeed.  She also told me that she was going to need me this month. She needed me to help push her, and if I needed a push, she would do the same.

Well, things were about to get serious!


As the month hit it's midway point, I had been pushing through NaNoWriMo. I was so proud and I was seeing others push too. But there was a few that also dropped out and said they couldn't do it. Then today, I woke up and checked my Facebook. Right there in black and white, my friend Kelly decided she was no longer going to do NaNoWriMo. She was done. She would save it for next time.

WELL - NOT ON MY WATCH!


I knew what I needed to do. I called her and for a good hour (or maybe two - that was a short phone call!) I talked her off the ledge. I told her she could do it. I told her she was already a quarter of the way there. I told her that Hubpages and her blog would be waiting for her December 1. I told her if she quit now, she would not be in that 10 percent. I told her she only needed to do 2,300 words a day and she would be right were she needed to be. I told her what she needed to hear. I told her I believed in her!

I used ever word I could think of to stop her nonsense. We are doing this together and I wasn't allowing her to back out now!

Of course, her best attack came that she missed Hubpages. So, as my wheels started rolling through my head, I asked her a very personal question. How much money do you make on Hubpages?

Hubpages is a great way to make an additional income as an online writer. But, it is still going to be there when NaNoWriMo is done. On the other hand, if you publish your book and decide to sell it on Amazon, the potential to make money is there. Not to mention, you can say you published a book. I can't think of a greater accomplishment.

So together... we decided to say "Fuck the Pennies!" We were going to get this book done!

As a writer, it is hard to set priorities when you feel like you are being pulled into so many different directions. For the month of November, my priority has been to complete NaNoWriMo. I might even be a little obsessive about it. There has been a fire lit under me! I am going to write until I can't think. I am going to write without abandon. I am going to finish this book.

Now I know the blog is waiting for me... Hubpages is waiting for me... and heck, I am probably not keeping up with my comments or even my reading. My chores are suffering (so please no visitors until December!) and my kids and husband might even be missing me. But, by the end of this, I know the people that matter, will understand why I needed to do this.Why I might not be as active reading or responding back. Because I am allowing myself to take this month to do something great.

So, if you know of anybody that has openly pledged to do NaNoWriMo, don't let them take the easy road out. We can do anything if we put our minds to it. Sure, it might be hard, but nothing is impossible. Believe in yourself and you are already halfway there!

So Kelly, this is for you! I believe in you. I think you can do it and I think it is going to be great. 
Don't doubt yourself. There is no room for that.
Now get your writing done... I am watching you! 

25 comments:

  1. You are half way there!! Or more by now I suspect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am shooting for about 80,000 words but I at least hit goal for nano... can you believe it... Now I am stuck! YIKES!

      Delete
  2. Awww. I just saw the outpouring of love in this post. You are one hell of a woman, you know that? Doing NaNo, this blog, calling into talk shows, calling and encouraging friends. This all tells me you're one fantastic mom, too. There have been moments I've wanted to quit. Moments where I'm like, "this isn't bringing me any money." But, I've pushed through all that. I really want to get this thing published. I had NO IDEA that only 10% finished. NO IDEA! That's a small number of people who actually cross the finish line, but it makes the journey all the more sweet for having done it. Frikkin awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly did all the research on that whole 10 percent... but luckily I am going to push her and anybody that wants me to to be a part of that 10 percent. And I agree - it is a pretty big acomplishment to have done. We are all gonna get there too! :)

      Delete
  3. This was an amazing post, but then again you are an amazing woman Stacy. What you did for Kelly was truly inspiring and just so awesome. I m truly so happy and glad to call you a friend, because you truly are that and then some. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe... thank you! I think we can do anything if we put our mind to it! :) I want to see all these books being finished sometime next year... looks like I better clear up my reading schedule! :) You got this too! :)

      Delete
  4. A great shout out!

    Kelly go for it, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep pushing her!!! We all got this. We need to let that evil little voice in our head telling us we can't to just go away! :)

      Delete
  5. (back to my own visual for being a bystander/observer for those of you participating in this writing thing):
    Refreshment stand in the middle of the Marathon race course, I can visualize:
    a) holding up a sign "WRITE DAMN YOU!! WRITE" or
    b) running backwards with a thesaurus and a cup of water yelling " ..or beverage or refreshment or tasty beverage" or
    c) still have to prepare Thanksgiving Dinner for the family (maybe not that last)

    Very inspiring and encouraging Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - I might have to do you one up and actually take a picture of me holding a sign saying Write Damn You!!! Write! I think I am gonna put that on my To Do list for Tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  6. You are an awesome friend Stacy! "Not on my watch!", I loved that. Kelly should have known there was no easy way out of NaNoWriMo with you at her back :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... and I think that is why she called me at the beginning. She knew I wouldn't let her quit! :)

      Delete
  7. What a pep talk. You just motivated me. Thank you Stacey. I agree too. You can do this Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep up the good work! Write a fun scene about a dude and chick talking about stuff. See, I just helped you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the help... I will definitly have to add that scene in somewhere. I will dedicate it to you! :)

      Delete
  9. Ok now I logged in using Firefox rather than IE...so let's hope the 5th time is the charm:) lol

    Stacy - you are such an awesome friend! You really did put a fire under my butt this morning! I needed that...I sure did pick the write "writing" buddy for Nano. I am forever grateful...

    And to think...if I had never seen that late night booty pop commercial...???? hahaha

    Thank you SO much - you really are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - Our life as we know it would be forever changed if the Booty Pop would have never been invented.

      Seriously though, I wasn't gonna let you off the hook that easy. Besides, I know what is riding on the line and I know you really want that lobster dinner that you promised for yourself if you accomplish NaNoWriMo... now let the lobster dinner push you to the end! You got this.

      Oh yeah - glad to see 5th time is a charm. And if you need a weekly pep talk, you know were to find me! :)

      Delete
  10. Kelly, you got this! Stacy, dang girl, can you get any better? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stacy, you are an awesome friend! And Kelly, I know you can do this!
    It is so hard to push through the mid month lull. My daughter is at that point as well - she wanted to quit last night and she is half way there! It took about an hour to talk her off the ledge too. I think making it all the way to the end must feel really amazing. (I wouldn't know, I dropped out in week three last time).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I also needed to read this pep talk today - though it was aimed at Kelly. What an awesome friend you are! We are half way! My motivation to keep going is all the people who think I can't do it, or who turn their nose up at me when I tell them I'm a writer. Stuff the lot of them. I'm doing this for me. And don't worry about your house...it's not like you're going to engrossed in this for months at a time..just 2 more weeks! I hope this is all worth it, because damnit - I need to start earning some money soon. I can't bare the thought of bidding against other writers again, it's just too depressing. Awesome post, just what I needed at the end of a very long and tiring day...thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How great that you are keeping each other going...your attitude is awesome and I'm sure you will both be in that 10%!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing like having someone to push you when you've given up hope. Coaching each other can be one of the greatest assets to writers, as Harper Lee and Truman Capote found out. Keep it going! We're all behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, Stacy! And good for you for pushing Kelly! I know she's glad to have a friend like you. Congratulations on hitting 50,000 words already! You're actually going to finish your book while the rest of us have to continue into December. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so sad when I heard that Kelly was dropping out of Nano. She'd had this interesting plot I was DYING to know more about and she had this kickass Nano planning book that I HAVE to get even though I'm not doing Nano this time around. It actually made me jealous that I'd not thought to do Nano this year.

    I'm thrilled you talked her off the ledge! You're such an awesome person!

    ReplyDelete

Virtual Mirror