Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I tried to be crafty and the only thing I got was a headache

I like to think I am crafty. I mean well. But the reality is, I really am not that crafty when it comes to certain things - mostly the ones like knitting, sewing or my personal favorite - crocheting.

Over the past few years, I have been attempting to teach myself how to crochet. I can make a scarf.  I am not sure if people will wear it, but I can do it. The stitches are not even and it kind of resembles a piece that look like it was shit out of a skein on a really bad day! Yep - that is what my projects look like.

I don't really know how to do anything special and I haven't really figured out how to follow directions. (Shhhh - no smart comments on that one!) Yet I keep coming back for more torture. I really want to learn how to crochet. I got a book from the library on how to teach myself visually. I even had a friend dumb down the instructions of a project for me so I could understand what I was supposed to do.

So today I tackled another project. I wanted to make these vintage looking fingerless gloves. I know - I know! A really hard project for someone very much a beginner!

This is what I ended up with!



Doesn't look like much does it?


Yep - that was about 2 hours worth of work. I don't even know how it is supposed to resemble a glove. My arms are tired and it was at that point I realized I screwed up. (I did further research on Youtube so I could get more visual instructions!) I needed to do a slip stitch to attach the ends. Now I have a good understanding of what I need to do so I will probably give it another go. But for now, the only thing this craft project got me was a pile of unraveled yarn and a headache!

2 comments:

  1. Aww..I'm sorry. But I think Pinterest is to blame for these sorts of distractions. We see something cool and want to recreate it. But, I was just going to say that you inferred you don't do anything special? Ehem..hello...are writers not special? You write! That's awesomesauce (as Cyndi would say) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so correct... why do I even bother trying to be crafty... I am a writer and that in itself is awesomesauce! :)

      Delete

Virtual Mirror