Lucky for you, chances are good I am not much of a lady. Besides, I am just going to tell you anyway. Yesterday, I turned 33 years old!
|There are 33 candles on this birthday cake - but no need to|
worry - there is room for a whole lot more!
Funny, I never realized how young 33 was until I actually turned 33. I remember when I was in the midst of my teenager years. I couldn't imagine ever being 30, much less turning 33! I mean - that was old! I was pretty sure I was going to be dead before that time.
However, that isn't the case. I have turned 33 and I am very much alive. I am not old either, although my gray hairs that keep poking through might give you other thoughts. Luckily for me I have been trained in the art of covering gray hair, although I fear I might never be able to return to my natural hair color anytime soon!
Now obviously my teenage-self is looking at me thinking that I am old! However, with age comes wisdom and these are a few of the things I have learned along the way!
|Can you believe it -|
still having fun
at this age!
- Age only improves beauty. It has taken me a long time to really see that. I have abused my body by having kids, constantly being on a weight loss roller coaster, and just living life. However, my body tells a story - stretch marks, scars and all. I have come to love the story I have lived and loving it has greatly improved my body image. I have worked hard to get where I am today, not just physically but mentally as well, and I know I am beautiful on the inside as well as the outside! As women - we are always looking at what the media tells us is beautiful. Well, it is time we start ignoring what they give us to picture in our mind and start looking in the mirror instead!
- Good friends are hard to find, but they are definitely worth the wait. I have a lot of friends. Now there are different levels of friendships. Some of those friends are the kind where nothing changes even if it has been months since you have talked to them; it will be like you have never been apart. They are the ones who love you for everything about you and they don't judge. You don't feel like you need to hide behind a mask or walk on eggshells just to impress them. These friends are far and few between. But when you do find them, they are absolutely priceless. While I love all my friends, it is these friends who I call family. It is these friends that make life worth living. It is these friends who I share my deepest and most personal thoughts with!
- Practice happiness to be happy. I hate to admit it, but I can get rather grumpy. Unfortunately, the grumpier I am the worse it gets. So while it may be hard, remember to smile. It might possibly change your outlook on the day and make you happier all around! My husband has teased me in the past for wearing a happy mask. Yet, I wonder, when I put on the happy mask, am I really hiding behind true feelings or am I really just trying to improve my mood?
- Your children are listening to you! This should be a given. Not only do they listen to you they often repeat all the bad stuff you have said. I will admit that I have a bit of a potty mouth. I try to keep it at bay but sometimes I can't help it. My kids have occasionally peeped out a swear word. It makes it hard to punish your child for doing something wrong when they are just following you! Although I will admit it is hilarious when my son spits out, "Holy Shit!" when he sees something unbelievable. I will punish him after I am done laughing and then go wash my mouth out with soap!
- Love unconditionally and forgive like tomorrow is your last day. I have never been a touchy-feelly kind of person. In fact, if you get too close to my bubble, you will see me start to cringe. I like my own space. However, my kids are changing that a little bit, especially since they always love to jump in my bubble and knock me out of my comfort zone. But also, I watch how they act. They love unconditionally. It doesn't matter whether I just grounded them or made them eat some gross vegetable. They forget, forgive and still love unconditionally. As an adult, it seems we learn how to hold grudges when someone has us do something we don't want to do, or someone says something we didn't want to hear. We keep the anger inside of us. Frankly, isn't it time we became a little more childlike and learned once again how to love unconditionally, forgive and forget. Life goes way to fast to cut yourself off from the kind of happiness you get from those three actions!
- You are only as old as you feel! You would never guess by looking at some of my pictures and how I act that I am actually 33 years old. It looks like I am either drunk - or never matured. I must say though - it is really more on the never matured part. I don't need alcohol to make me act crazy. I just like to have fun. And when I am with friends, it is easy to let loose and get a little crazy. When you stop loving life and having fun, that is when you get old. So, as long as I keep doing what I am doing - I guess I won't be getting old anytime soon!
|Do you have the drive to live life|
to the fullest?
33 years is a long time to live and while I have learned a lot of life lessons so far, I know there are a lot more to come. So just remember, to get out there and live life, love lots and smile for no reason at all. We only have one life to live so we might as well make the best of it!